Because of house cleaning, I was reminded that I'd started a project to replace all of the toilet fillers with the dual-flush option.
After successfully replacing the one that had a bit of a leak (occasionally the toilet would run to refill the tank as it dribbled out), I set aside the plumbing kits to see how it worked before replacing them in the other toilets. The missus was cleaning that part of that room, and set the box with the unused kits where I couldn't miss it.
I took the box to the basement. Really it should be labeled the black hole, as things end up there and never again see the light of day. I decided that wasn't a fitting end, so I put it where it would be in my way before too long. I also grabbed one of the kits and the wrench to start replacing the second toilet.
I chose to start with the other second floor bathroom, the one ensuite to the master bedroom. This was has the minor complication of an under-seat bidet that had been added at the beginning of the pandemic, when toilet paper seemed really hard to get. We've never had a paper problem, having coincidentally already purchased a big, bulk package just before the shutdown started. We also had some good luck and nabbed some spares when we saw them, but always had some. The bidet, though, was something we had discussed before, and this seemed to be a fine impetus.
The bidet "plumbing" is just a T-connector between the normal water line and toilet's fill valve. It made removing the plumbing just the tiniest bit difficult, both because of the extra hardware on the toilet, but also because turning the nut twisted the additional hose. Nothing more than annoying.
I removed all of the innards, which led to a goofy deluge. I had flushed the toilet after turning off the water, and before disconnecting the aforementioned T-connector, but had forgotten to lift the valve to drain the inch or so of water that remains after the flush concludes. I did so while the water competed to spit past the fill valve and into the toilet. Thankfully I'd had a big bowl beneath to catch the water, but unfortunately the extra water (usually a cup or so leaks out) and the not completely removed valve caused some squirting and spraying. Just water, thankfully.
Once removed, and remembering from last time, I started with the added flush valve bits. In the last one, it was hard to get my hand around the fill valve to secure the flush valve replacement, so I started there. I gotta say, thankfully I have a container of extra zip ties. It took three tries to get the zip ties to tighten without breaking. I hadn't even gotten to terribly tight when the first one broke. I thought "a couple more clicks" before the second broke. The third, from my set, tightened just fine and didn't cause trouble. I tried to think ahead and set the dual-flush valves where I recalled the other had been set, since that was also a frustration I remembered from the last one.
I got the fill valve and dual handles installed just fine, and filled the tank. The bidet was a little cumbersome to work around, as I couldn't simply sit reverse (or drunk and don't want to fall off), since the handle and such were in the way, so I spent the whole time hunched over or on one knee just a little farther away than comfortable with my sore shoulder.
I started testing, and was met with a similar but nearly opposite experience from the last. Pressing the short-flush handle would send some water, but stop almost immediately, even while still pressed. I fiddled with the two sliding adjustments and finally got what I was looking for. In the end, trying to jump start that didn't help at all. Really, I'd gone just a couple clicks too far, so maybe 10-20% too much, for both of the adjustments. For the final one I'll try to remember to adjust after installing.
I realized after that I hadn't correctly adjusted the fill valve height, so the water was a couple inches lower than expected. I thought for a bit of leaving it lower, as the whole reason is to reduce water use, but decided that if you needed the big flush, we'd want the water. I adjusted its height, readjusted the float and got the half and full flushes where I wanted. Then tweaked just a little the refill tube valve to get the right amount of refill time. Of course, the bowl will only hold so much water (if not clogged), as additional water will simply spill over the S-trap, but I wanted to avoid waste, and also not leave the bowl dry. There's a handy valve on the new fill valve to control this, so with a couple more half-flush tests, and a final full-flush test, the water in the tank and bowl seemed to work just fine.
I dumped the bowl, wiped up the spill, and did a little bowl cleaning that I recalled doing before I started on the last one. I wiped up all of the wet spots from all of the used stuff, put the used stuff in the new stuff's now-empty box, and left the bathroom a touch cleaner than when I got there. The only evidence of my visit is the new split handle, and some bits of dog hair not in the corner behind the toilet.
New toilet flushing works great. Now we can have those midnight visits flush quickly and quietly (the new fill is a little more muted than before), not that I was ever bothered, but sometimes someone else was.